The Book Barge
A nice reaction to the ‘one-click’ approach to book buying, with the emergence of the book barge, a floating bookshop that’s moored in Staffordshire, but for the next few days will be on the Regent’s Canal, just behind the Guardian HQ.
According to the Guardian article, the owner Sarah Henshaw says that “by setting up on a canal boat we hope to promote a less hurried and harried lifestyle of idle pleasures, cups of tea, conversation, culture and, of course, curling up with an incomparably good Book Barge purchase.” Of course it’s supporting independent bookshops as well, which can only be a good thing.
The barge is now on a six-month tour of the UK’s canals and doing all kinds of onboard author events. Check out the website for more details.
Filed under: Books, London, Shops | 1 Comment
Tags: authors, book barge, Books, canals, London, reading, UK
Andy Zaltzman animals art audio BBC Blogs Board Games Books brainstorming cat charity Charlie Todd children Comedy Comics Competitions Coney Conspiracy for Good cooking Dan Walker Smith Design design thinking event events exercise Film Find Your Feet flashmobs food football fun fundraising games Geekcamp Guardian Hide&Seek IDEO improv Improv Everywhere interview Inventions journalism London marathon marketing media movies Music News Quiz New York New York Times Open University performance Photography ping pong play podcasts Radio Rufus Hound Running science social games Sport Stanford Stewart Lee Theatre This American Life Timewasting Tim Kring TV Useless Flyers Video Wired World Cup YouTube
- Euan Ferguson: 'I think,' I stuttered... 'I think I've had a stroke' gu.com/p/3km2e/tw via @guardian 2 days ago
- For your chance to win a year of spontaneous travel and experiences worth up to £50k, go to lovelivinglastminute.com lets #bespontaneous 3 days ago
- How to Recover from Plantar Fasciitis (which is runners foot agony): bit.ly/1c4UylG 1 week ago
- @CharmLShake @NerdNiteLondon Cheers Charm! Glad you enjoyed it. 1 week ago
- RT @FinalBullet: I'm speaking about Terminator, 6502 assembler & Sarah Connor at this cheap event in Shoreditch 2nite. Pop in, say hi? http… 2 weeks ago